Saturday, March 1, 2008

No more glasses?

Today was a beautiful sunny day. Spring is definitely here. Flowers are blooming, the air even smells differently. It's nice. Maybe I am becoming a warmer weather person!

My friend and I went to the eye hospital today for my consultation appointment. I didn't really know what to expect, but I knew that this was a reputable, famous hospital that operates on over 5,000 patients a month. They have a bunch of branches in Turkey and 2 overseas.

The call center promised me that the doctors all spoke English. And yes, he definitely spoke English quite well (aside from "Look rightwards") but the majority of the staff spoke little to no English. Which was quite interesting as I had to go through numerous tests. I had no idea where or when to put my chin on something, when to not blink, or where to look. They super dilated my pupils (on probably the brightest day of the year) which was awful.

Dr. Volkan said that I do qualify for the surgery! I was 90% sure for some reason that I wouldn't qualify. But I do! For InterLase surgery. Still reading up on exactly what that type of surgery is and how it differs from the others, but due to the strength of my prescription (quite strong) this is the best surgery for me.

As I had assume that I wouldn't qualify, I hadn't really been thinking about it recently. But now I'm going to. And I have about 2 weeks to do so since the doctor is going on vacation next week.

I've been wearing glasses since age 8 and contacts since 11 or 12. I have to wear daily contacts (which I never wear anymore) and they cost $2 per day. Being able to see in the shower would be super amazing. As would being able to see all the time!

My friend and I decided to explore this Ottoman castle today (Rumeli Hısarı) on the coast of the Bosphorus in the northern part of Istanbul. It was amazing, the views were beautiful! Of course, I didn't have my camera with me but I will definitely go back very soon. It was so nice, the air was much cleaner there, it was peaceful, wonderful.

We walked along the coast for a few hours and it was great. It reminds me of why I love this city and why I should explore it more.

Ok, time for researching the surgery and planning my landlord's lesson for tomorrow morning.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wheres cynical meagan? i like her. you should def get the surgery if you can afford it. would you have to take time off work for it? ill research it too so i know what you might be doing!
i wish it was nice here. we had a snow storm last night which was pretty but i hate the day after because its cold and slushy and icy. yuck. and i just looked outside and its snowing again.
gustie and silwie were on a date this morning. in love kitties. GSUT

Anonymous said...

gustie i googled "InterLase" and secretly its actually called "IntRAlase". silly gust.

Unknown said...

Hi, Meagan -- It's so nice to read the goings on in your life (and so soon after you posted them), especially since it's been a particularly long week for me. And there aren't any castles around here for me to explore. Are Turkish delights actually served to you in Turkey any better? I miss you a great deal and hope that the next time you see me, it will be with 20/20 vision. I'm happy for you.

Anonymous said...

I think it's mysterious that you keep referring to your "friend." Why doesn't this friend have a name? Is happy meagan going to be shady?

I'm excited for your eyes. You have beautiful eyes. It will be nice to see them. Although, i love glasses so much.

no i'm looking like the weirdo. lata 7 words.