Friday, February 29, 2008

A complaint free world

Another pretty easy week at work. I think I taught a total of 24 hours in 2 weeks. And since I am salaried for 24 a week, that is pretty damn awesome. But of course I still complain. Which leads me to my goal for March (I think I'm going to start having monthly goals or challenges):

I am going to go 21 days without complaining.

For those of you who know me well, this will be quite difficult. For that reason, I've decided to allow mental and written complaining but NOT verbal.

I got this idea from some other blog and as it turns out there is a whole Complaint Free Movement going on (complete with purple bracelets a la Lance Armstrong - they ship worldwide! - and a Complaint Free Cruise - dome wanna go? and even a Complaint Free Curriculum for Kids) The whole thing is a bit freakish if you ask me, but a good idea nonetheless.

I started to think about how many hours I probably waste a month complaining about things I can't change or will never change at work. Yes, maybe I could get a new job, but I'm sure I'd find something to complain about there too. (The average person complains 15-30 times a day.)

So instead, I'll find new things to talk about, hopefully break some bad habits, learn new things, and maybe even like my job more.

The reason that it is for 21 days is that allegedly scientists believe that it takes 21 days for us to form new habits, according to the CF website.

They say that complaining makes you unhealthy! I'm trying to be a healthier person. I keep a constant supply of apples and oranges in my fridge (they are about 100 times better here than in the US) and even turned down my favorite snack today. I've been doing yoga or pilates at least 4 times a week and have become slightly addicted. So, hopefully this will aid in my health quest.

So, I'm gonna do it. Starting tomorrow March 1 and for 21 days. Hold me accountable people. Don't let me complain on this blog. If I do, call me out. Sometimes I do think I am quite good at turning a complaint into constructive criticism so don't let me do that either.

In other news:

As you may have seen on the news, Turkey has invaded Iraq using ground forces for the first time. The US is all ticked off about this of course as they think they have the right to tell countries what they can and can't do (some say that Turkey had permission from both the US and Iraq for this operation and they are already retreating due to their success). The media here isn't so free, so I take everything I read with a grain of salt.

But, I did read a sad story about people relocating stray dogs from the center of Istanbul to the suburbs and then poisoning them! Allegedly the municipality poisoned them because people were complaining about the dogs! Many Turkish people either dislike or fear dogs. There isn't really a big pet culture like in the US. So, a councilperson said that she supported the poisoning of the dogs as that is what her constituents preferred.

I started going to Turkish class again. As my student said, this will greatly improve my quality of life here. Plus I miss learning things. 3 hours of class today! And I can't wait to study and practice.

Oh, did you hear that the tribal elders are pissed at Hillary for sending that picture of Obama wearing tribal garb to the Drudge Report?

I guess Hillary forgot about these pictures!

Finally, you can now subscribe to my blog via a reader or via e-mail! Please sign up today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post Meagan! I have a happy dog story for you. There are dogs in Iraq who are adopted (stolen?) by U.S. troops and kept in their camps with them for solace. One soldier returned home and the dog arrived here from Kuwait as the soldier was so attached. And about 9 other dogs have come back with their soldier moms and dads. In the complaint free world, I think there should be an animal abuse-free world. I've seen and heard some nasty stuff come out of China alone.

P.S. Bill and Hillary should be locked up.