Sunday, February 10, 2008

My street


There is always a flurry of activity on my street. It's quite an interesting street. From what I hear, it used to be where the transvestite population of Istanbul lived. However, now, much of them have moved on to different neighborhoods, but a few stragglers still remain.

It's quite a diverse street for Istanbul standards. As far as I can tell we have Turks (of course), a good deal of Kurds, a few Americans, and maybe some French or Italians.

One thing that I really love about Istanbul is that people are constantly selling stuff on the streets. Not in an annoying way, but in a way that actually makes sense (for the most part).

Things that are sold on my street:

1. Simit - This is the Turkish snack standard. Kind of like a sesame bagel but without so much bread inside. There is a guy who walks down the street every morning screaming about his hot, fresh simit that was made in a stone oven.

2. Fruits and vegetables - Another neighborhood standard. Every day around 3pm, 2 guys with a pickup truck full of fruits and vegetables comes to the neighborhood. They walk up and down the street yelling about what they have and how much it costs. The housewives then buy the fruit by yelling their orders out the window, lowering the baskets down to collect the produce, pulling them back up, and sending them down with the money. Pretty convenient!

3. Boza - Boza is a winter drink made from fermented wheat. I haven't tried it, but I'm certain I won't like it. There is a bozaci who roams the streets at night wearing an excellent costume with 2 golden pots hanging from his shoulders. I want to buy some just so I can take his picture.

4. Socks - Occasionally a guy comes around and sells socks. Bay! Bayan! (Men! Women!)

5. Blankets - There is a blanket van. They have a megaphone-type set up and they yell about their blankets. Wool, cotton, 15 ytl. Again, very convenient.

6. The guys who buy old stuff/scrap metal - There are a few guys who prowl the 'hood looking to buy your old stuff (apparently they will take anything) or your scrap metal (should you hoard it in your house). They have very distinctive voices and use them to make their presence known.

7. The accordion guy - While he is not actually selling stuff and I only saw him today for the first time, he is quite excellent. I really should charge my camera battery. He was walking with his toddler-aged son and wearing neon pink fingerless gloves and playing the accordion.

8. The belt seller - Should you have a desperate need to guy a belt (Bay! Bayan!), don't worry. He comes around about once or twice a week to fulfill your belt needs.

I guess that's it. I'm sure I'll think of more or I'll hear a new one later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How strange. Just imagining it makes me feel like i'm at a broadway play or something. Somewhat like the streets in beauty and the beast.

ok i'm past that now.

But I like this new blog idea. I like that there is a picture of your street. Gives me a better idea of your life.

And do you think you could pick me up some belts next time he comes around?