Saturday, February 9, 2008

Here I go again...


I haven’t been writing lately, at least on my blog. Not since December 2007!

After spending some time wondering why, I decided it was because I just wrote about my life. In all actuality, my life here is quite normal and at times, boring.

So, I’ve decided to take a slightly different approach and not just write about my life, but other things that interest me - politics, cultures, different articles I stumble upon on the lovely Internets!, links to interesting things. Writing about these things will not make me feel compelled to write such long posts.

Instead, I will post short, interesting things and hopefully I will do so more frequently. And I hope to encourage discussion by encouraging comments. Comments also encourage me to write more since I know that someone is reading. Post anonymously, I don’t care, just write something!

So, on to my interesting finds of the day. As many of you know, I have a slight Internet obsession. Mainly reading political and social commentary with some more nerdy stuff thrown in occasionally. I have a daily round of blogs and other websites that I read which often provide links to interesting stuff. We’ve been talking about “The Web” in my Elementary Business English class and it’s rather shocking to me that these 4 women don’t seem to find the Internet a) interesting or b) necessary because to me it is both of those and way more. I hear about something or read about something and immediately I want to find out more.

Side note: if you disagree with what I say, great! I’m not here to be preachy or try to make you think like I do, because I value debate and alternate opinions. Please feel free to voice them here.

This picture is quite powerful I think. Living in a Muslim country is a wonderful experience. I have learned so much and I am grateful for every second of it. The blind discrimination and prejudice by many Americans is only due to ignorance and unfounded fear. I’ve been here for 13 months and not one time have I met someone who I thought was a “terrorist.” Not one time did I fear for my life. Not one time did I feel uncomfortable because of religion. Instead, I found the complete opposite. I found a country of warm, hospitable people who are willing to bend over backwards to help you, who want to educate you about Islam, who are confused and scared because much of the world doesn’t understand them and their peaceful religion.

Of course, there are Muslim terrorists. But there are also Christian terrorists and Jewish terrorists and so on.

Asking for the world to live in peace is too much to ask I have learned. But I won’t stop educating myself and learning more and being tolerant. And I encourage you to do the same (ok I’m being a little preachy).

Onwards....to this article - a very interesting piece which explains that Google is going to OUTSPEND the US government on the environment in the fiscal year 2009. I always use Google as an example in my classes (creative company culture, flexible work environment, unique perks) and here I have another example - the social responsibility of a private-sector company outweighing (and outspending) the responsibility of the public-sector.

This leads me to a few questions. What can we do to further encourage the private-sector to develop environmentally-friendly products? What role should the government play with regard to the environment? Can we trust that governmental policy is actually going to benefit the environment and not merely for political and/or economical gains?

Ok! That was fun. I managed to combine a bit of my work life, my regular life, and 2 interesting issues into 1 post. And it wound up being a long post. Now I’m just waiting for the comments to keep me motivated...Sadie - that means you! And thanks to Tracy for the photo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

gustie. i agree with those ladies in your class about the internet. it has always amazed me that you can spend so much time on the internet. i check my email, my bank account, cuteoverload, the news real quick and then im done. all in all a good ten minutes.

ps please check your blog for spelling and/or grammar mistakes next time miss english teacher.

Unknown said...

Love the new blog Mearget! Keep writing - your observations and ideas are really cool/informative/interesting! I'm with you on the internet - I would be lost without it.

Unknown said...

Hey Meagan, I've been thinking about you lately. Whenever I watch project runway or the amazing race. I've gotten Carlos into the amazing race somewhat. Never could maintain the one tree hill thing though.
The people on project runway are not as interesting as in seasons past.
School is going well for me. I've managed to stay on the dean's list.
I have to admit, I'm not a big internet user. If it wasn't for work, weeks could go by and I would never get on it.
Might be a generation thing.
Though my texting is getting much better!!!