Monday, February 11, 2008

The New York Times

Today I read 2 interesting NY Times' articles. The first, which you can find here, advocates a "fairer" tax system. This fairer system would tax for obnoxious consumption (good idea!), sending spam e-mails (why didn't someone think of this before?), family and friends junk mail (YES! although my family/friends aren't that bad), and emoticon users ( :8) ). Finally, a way to pay off our tremendous budget deficit! (Thanks for the article Tracy).

Second, which you can find here, was sent to me as an alumna of Blair Academy. It details the life of a current female Afghani student and her soccer career.

I felt inspired and I miss writing things like this, so I wrote a letter to the Headmaster. See my response below. Please feel free to add your comments (but please don't correct my grammar - after correcting grammar all day my brain goes to waste at night).

I was very pleased to read the article in The New York Times about Ms. Kohestani. It's stories like these that make me proud to be an alumna of Blair Academy. I applaud both her for her courage and tenacity as well as the school community for accepting her and welcoming her in true Blair fashion. I'm sure it must be a difficult and fascinating, not to mention challenging, journey for her.

So often girls are denied the right to education for one reason or another. I've been living in Turkey for the past 13 months and have heard many stories about girls in the eastern parts of Turkey even being denied primary school education (which is legally required by the Turkish government) due to familial traditions. Of course, the situation in Afghanistan was drastically different from the situation in Turkey, but an overall theme can be seen: the lack of either options or opportunities for women in Middle Eastern countries to exercise their basic human right to education. Whether it be for political, religious or traditional reasons, women simply do not have the rights that we in the US take for granted.

Now is a historical time in Turkey. The Parliament has passed an amendment removing the ban on covered girls from attending university. This is causing quite an uproar as the secularists fear Turkey is headed towards Shariah law.

I, however, applaud this decision as a step in the right direction. A step towards keeping (many covered women flee to other countries for university) and educating intellectual, Muslim women. A oxymoron to some, but a necessity if Turkey wants to move forward in the world.

What is my point in writing this? One of the things I thought benefited me the most at Blair was the exposure to a multi-cultural student body. Coming from Blairstown, where just about everyone attends the same church on Sunday, does the same activities, makes around the same amount of money, has a similar ethnic background, and you can count the number of minorities on one (or maybe two) hands; I was starving for culture and diversity. And I found it at Blair. I regret not taking advantage of all the activities, lectures, and events that had a multi-cultural theme. I regret not making more of an effort to get to know the international students.

The most important thing that Blair gave me (or helped me develop further) was the desire to learn more about different cultures. I encourage the school to do more to find girls like Ms. Kohestani. To find more women who have had their right to education taken away from them for one reason or another. To find more Muslim students. To do more to increase the diversity that makes Blair so amazing.
That's enough for today. I'm recovering from being quite sick last night and should do some work before I go to bed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I applaud your letter to T. Splitchin Hardwick. I could not write to him. But I do appreciate the points you brought up. Each time I talk about diversity and my exposure to it, it always starts with Blair. (I grew up in a town called "WHITE"....no diversity there!).

However, Blair bugs me. Beyond reason. I hope its changed in years and actually 1. disciplines everyone equally no matter what contribution their parents are making to the school, 2. has decreased the number of teacher/student hook-ups, and 3. offers more diverse classes (which from my blair bulletins, it appears they have. Haven't heard back regarding reasons 1 & 2.

at least i'm honest....but I do applaud you for your letter. nicely written. I read the article as well and applaud blair too.

Meagan said...

Yes Sadie I agree with you 100%. The influence of money and the "my parents will just donate a building if I do something wrong" way of thinking drove me nuts at Blair.

If Blair actually increases their "recruiting" overseas and increases their endowment for such students, it would create an entirely different environment as many of these students spend in a year what some of our classmates spend in 10 minutes.

But would they be able to fit in at Blair?

Re: teacher/student hook-ups - disgusting and completely inappropriate. It's obvious from the rumor mill at Blair that everyone knows what's going on, yet nothing is done to prevent/stop it...

And more diverse classes, yes! I think they are diversifying and I remember some rather interesting history/religion classes being offered during our time.

Anonymous said...

Is that REBATE CARD? who commented on your first post? What fun

Unknown said...

Hellooo. It is I, Rebate Card!!

Sally said...

I thought the article was cool...not only because Howie brought it in to me and I got to see Blair on the front page of the sports section of the NY Times, but also because of its content.

Although, it kind of annoyed me that Blair took the press to the extreme. I got an email that day telling me about the article, which wouldn't have been such a big deal, had I not received a letter asking for money two days later along with a copy of the article. Wow.

I disagree about teacher hookups - I thought they provided endless entertainment. Who was hooking up with who? Whose car was parked outside of our dorm all night? Who showed up to breakfast together in the morning? Blair teacher gossip was way more scandalous than student gossip.

Unknown said...

I can appreciate the feelings expressed about how our dear alma mater played up the positive press a bit too much... but even so, I had my first moment of true pride in a while about "her storied halls"... since so many of the "stories" are much of what Sadie and others added. We get the Times, so I saw it before I was told to see it, and I promptly cut it out to bring and hang in my office... to remind me of the value of good learning, for all of us!