Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A good week at work

Something of an abnormality lately...The administrative issues at this school are too many to count and I've decided to take an approach of only worrying/caring about things that I can change. Some things are just the way they are (i.e. disorganized) and if I can't do anything to change them, why waste my time and energy caring?

So, with that philosophy in mind, this week has been a good week at work. A good week should consist of the following things:

Cancellations - I have 3 private students at Vodafone and although they are all very wonderful, it's nice when cancel from time to time (I still get paid). So far this week, I've had 6 hours of cancellations (2 from me - food poisoning?, 2 from my student, 2 weather related - less than 1/2" of snow scared my students into canceling).

Interesting course topics - The text books my 2 group classes use (Market leader) leave much to be desired. So, this week we are doing the "Culture" unit which is so much better than "Markets" or the other boring crap they think students want to/should learn about.

No transportation nightmares - We are lucky enough to have drivers to take us to most of our classes that are in-company which is quite nice providing that they are no a) early/late/not there b) know that they should pick you up and at what time and c) are not driving like maniacs. I lodged a complaint with the HR Manager and now all of the cars *should* have seat belts soon (Mom don't read this).

Free food - Whether it be Vodafone lunch (which is good in one location, decent in the other), free coffees from your students or other such treats, free food always brightens a teacher's week

Talkative students - Nothing is worse than having to discuss a boring topic - like "Markets" with students who have no interesting in doing so. Just pretend a little, for me.

6 more hours to go this week!

By the way people - I'm waiting for your comments and e-mails. It only takes about 2-5 minutes (or less depending on how many words per minute you can type).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like good weeks!

I have had an ok week. But what makes my week go is so far gone from what makes your week good.

What kind of food do they serve in cafeterias (at work) over there?

Do you get paid holidays/sick days? I get 12 sick days a year...and at the end of this year I had like over 100 hours of sick time...so I got to turn some of it into vacation days for this year...but I still had like 90some hours of sick...so I've made a vow to start taking advantage of some more sick days.