Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I broke down

I guess I was doing pretty good with the whole not complaining thing. Maybe I wasn't entirely successful, but I definitely complained less.

Until today.

Today it all came out for some reason. And you know what? It made me feel worse. But it needed to come out so I'll let it come out again here just for good measure. And hopefully it will all be gone after that.

The driver is supposed to pick me up every Tuesday and Thursday outside the Metro station at 10:30. This pickup time has not changed in 3 months. Granted, my student does cancel somewhat frequently, but I always notify the school when he does.

However, the driver, for whatever reason, is never actually there at 10:30. Anywhere between 10:45 and 10:55 he appears, asking if I've been waiting long (um YES!) and looking somewhat surprised at my answer.

Today I waited for 20 minutes in heavy winds which blew around dust and other crap from the disgusting streets (not so good for freshly lasered eyes)...I hid behind my sunglasses, scarf and hoodie.

Then after my lesson, I waited in the heavy rain outside VF for the driver who promised to be there at 1pm. I started checking my watch every minute at 1:10 and then finally around 1:25 he comes walking up asking where I've been. Um, I've been waiting here for 25 minutes I said. He said no you haven't. I drove by and you weren't here so I parked down the street. He was angry that I didn't think that he would park 1/4 mile the street. Silly me!

Then, before my next lesson, I waited again. We have a set "4:05" departure time as there is a group of us going. However, 4:05 gradually become 4:10 and then 4:15, 4:30, etc. I went up to the secretary to complain. She actually got off her ass and found the driver! And we left. But not after I slammed my head on the van door.

I arrived to argue more with the secretary who drives me batty with his lack of English, his "Yes I do" answer to everything, his lies just to piss me off.

Finally I'm home. My body is tired, my eyes are tired and I have to wake up at 7:30am tomorrow and I'll get home at 8pm. All for 4 hours of teaching.

I need a vacation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what's interesting about complaining? It's so individualized. In one aspect I can't relate because I'm reading your post, and I'm thinking - at least you get a ride to work, that must be nice, and you don't have to pay for it or tip him. I have to drive my own POS car, pay for my own gas (which is getting up there) and pay $120 a month to park in a dumpy garage downtown. But on the other hand, I can relat because I am one who hates being late, so I understand that aspect. But if I think about it, there are some people who have to take the bus into the city and maybe the commute is an hour and they don't get a seat. I mean, remember the 66?

I think its good you broke down. However, when you do complain, write it down, like you did here...and then take a breather..take a step back and reread it. Is it really that bad? Complaining is useless in most cases. It's not going to change anything - most times, and it will only make you more heated and dwell on it longer. I understand the need for it, I do it too...but make it funny at least...then you can laugh at the situation and at yourself for getting so worked up about it.

xoxo

Meagan said...

Thanks Dr. Wifey...I guess I should have added that some of these places can't be reached with public transportation...and most companies in Istanbul provide some type of service bus system to their employees as taking public transport and dealing the ridiculous traffic problem is a bit too much to handle.

Sometimes I want to write about my complaints, but other times its just too much and feels like a waste of time.

Anonymous said...

i think not complaining is a bad idea. if you hold it all in you will just end up exploding one day when it all comes together.
however, there is a time and place for it. i would be mad about your driver but mabes turkish people dont think stuff like that is a big deal?
or mabes your driver is like the dome and doesnt know how to be on time. a duh.