Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Watching the match without a TV

Turkey is a huge soccer (football) country. The second question people ask (after "Are you married?") is "What's your team?" While I don't really care about Turkish soccer, I guess my team is Beşiktaş because I like their colors the best (black and white) and their stadium is near where I live.

Tonight there is a big match (UEFA Champions League quarterfinal). Fenerbahçe, a very popular Turkish team, is playing Chelsea (England) in Istanbul. This means several things: half of your students will miss class so that they can make it home for the 9:40 start time (class ends at 7:15 by the way). Traffic will be even worse than usual leaving your half attended class at 7:15 (you will sit on the road not moving for at least 15 minutes and people will honk their horns because they a) love Fenerbahçe and b) hate traffic. And you can watch the match without actually watching it.

I have a TV. But it's sitting in my bedroom covered in some hideous carpet with cartoon dogs on it (came with the place). Normally, I download everything I want to watch.

But I know everything important in the match based on the sounds my neighbors make. I know the score is currently 1-0 Fenerbahçe (they just cheered and screamed GOALLLLLLLLLL a few minutes ago). I knew that some match a few weeks ago went to penalty kicks based on how the neighbors cheered.

So, I can sit here, finishing up Lost Season 3 and still know what's happening in the match. Pretty interesting, huh?

In other news:

I've worked only 5 hours this week. Awesome.

Lemon juice and baking powder will get that gunk off your iron that you've been trying to get off for months.

I was offered candy twice today (gummi candy too, one of my favorites) and I turned it down! I thought of you Sadie.

My mom is coming May 2-11.

Spring is here.

Update: 2-0 Fenerbahçe

Update 2-1 Fenerbahçe - They will play Chelsea again on Tuesday. Again no one will come to my class (well maybe it's all girls). Again there will be crazy traffic. And again I will watch through my neighbors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now you can talk to opie about soccer! what else do you hear your neighbors doing???