Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Coincidental and unexpected and expected

Things seem to be coming together. In strange ways. Coincidental and unexpected and expected.

A slightly different approach is maybe the reason I came to Turkey. Or maybe, more accurately, the reason I stayed. Something was missing from my life in the US but I couldn't figure out what it was.

Living abroad, living away from everything that you know, living away from your family and friends, living in a different culture, forces you to look inside yourself. It forces you to get to know yourself better. It forces you to see things differently.

Would I be the same person that I am now if I hadn't come here? Well, I can never know for sure, but I don't think so. I've learned so much here - about life, about people, about myself. One of the many wonderful things about living abroad is learning. And it's been other people who have helped me learn. Students, friends, and one very special person.

It's important to realize that not all the experiences you learn from in life are positive. While the positive ones do help a great deal, it's the negative ones that can really show you things. They can really show you how you should change your life and what you can do differently.

And as a result of everything I've learned, I've become a happier and more confident person. I think that I am now quite different than I was in December 2006. And I think the changes that I've made have made me a much better person.

Of course, there are difficulties with living abroad. Language, for starters. While I do take private Turkish lessons, I feel like I have stalemated (apparently this happens to many people). I am a dedicated student and I spend a lot of time studying. I guess in time it will pay off.

Friends are another. The English teaching world is a world of people who come and go. Someone may become your close friend and then a few months later they are gone. The number of English speaking friends is considerably smaller in a foreign country and you may settle for someone as a friend who you wouldn't normally be friends with at home. It can take a long long time to find a real friend.

And of course you can never replace your friends from home.

Family is a big one. Staying in contact is difficult if some family members are not so internet saavy. Missing out on big events in your family is challenging. Not being where everyone is can make you feel so lonely.

Skype and Instant Messenger help. Emails are great. Visits are wonderful. But it takes effort and effort from both sides. Emails go both ways as do phones. I am going to try to put more effort into communication. I spend enough time reading the news on the internet. I can dedicate some of that time to writing emails to friends and family.

One important thing to remember is that people change. And the changes are not witnessed by other people, especially if you are on opposite sides of an ocean. Understanding is crucial in maintaining relationships. Understand both how much your family and friends miss you. And them understanding how much you miss then and your reasons for leaving and your reasons for staying.

Communication is key.

On that note, I learned that people don't comment on my blog because they don't know what to write. Well, every single comment is greatly appreciated by me and makes my day. Even if it 2 words or 2 sentences. There is no need to write something profound (although you certainly can if you like). Just saying "hi" is good enough.

Your comments give me motivation. Both for writing and for life and everything else. Knowing that there are people out there who read and who care (even if I don't know you) is amazing. So please show me your support.

If you aren't comfortable commenting, you can always do so anonymously. Also, you can e-mail me. And I promise I will (eventually) reply.

Thanks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am actually honored to be the first comment on this post.

Having lived in China, while it was for much less time, I identify with everything you say about most everything in your post. I think it's something everyone should do at some point in their lives, live abroad. You learn yourself in a completely different dimension, and one that gives things entirely new meaning. It's aggravating and frustrating and stifling, but at the same time uplifting and hysterical and shaping for your future.

I am really happy for you that you have gotten such positive things out of your experience. I do fear that I will never live in the same place as you and I know we won't ever have the same kind of life we had in Boston in 2006, but I can stick with you on the internet communication. It does enrich my life, too. And the fact that you're an internet lover like me just makes me feel that much more connected to you.

You are very missed, very loved, very smart, and wonderful, and fun, and so many other things that maybe I haven't been witness to since December 2006. But you sound happy, and that makes me smile and motivated to keep going, too.

Anonymous said...

im proud of you and your post. im glad you said the things that are on your mind. im at dads, babysitting lily tomorrow. i always tell her that she has a big sister that lives in turkey and i tell her all about you. i always tell people that even if i cant understand why you moved to turkey, i respect you so much for it because it takes so much strength to be able to do something like it. so many people say they envy you because they wish they had the strength to do the same thing.
mer reh eh

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you for being able to do these things even though I miss you terribly...moving to Boston when you knew no one there and then moving half way around the world when you knew only two people there. I can't even manage to get out of Blairstown!! See you in about 2 weeks!

Rebecca Soble said...

Hi Meagan - I can completely relate to your comment about transitory foreign friends, though I perhaps am less affected simply because I like spending more time than most in solitude. I love seeing other people, but it takes a little kick in the pants to get me out there and actually do it. So one day, send me a note and kick me in the pants and lets get together. xo Rebecca

Anonymous said...

you continue to impress me wifey. i know i sent you an email a few weeks back explaining that there had obviuosly been this major change in you, but I thought i went overboard because I didnt get a response. ha

its like that quote you wrote in my year book...back then...we grew separately, as the quote talks about...but it also talked about two friends growing together while apart...and it makes me excited that you've done all this growing, as have I and I can't wait to get to know each other all over again.

i hate getting mushy...that my friend...has not changed. so i'm gonna stop right about now.

Barbara said...

Hi Meagan, I can identify completely with this post (as I think you already know from reading my blog!). I, too, feel like I have stalemated with my Turkish lessons and am seemingly saying the same things over and over despite continuing to take classes. My teacher tells me to keep trucking through it and eventually it will sink in and I'll start using it. Hopefully he's right!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am happy to have found your blog! I am 27, American, and just moved to Istanbul 3 weeks ago. I am marrying a Turkish man in December and we will be living in Adana. I came early to try to get a bit adjusted to Turkish culture, the language, etc.
I am living in the suburbs, but trying to become more independent and get out more during the days.
Nice to meet you!

Meagan said...

Thanks to everyone for all your wonderful comments. I miss you all dearly. Thanks for being there for me and continuing our friendship even when we are thousands of miles apart. It seems so much to me.

And welcome to Istanbul Katie. Hang in there!